Monday, August 28, 2006

The Power of Passing It On

A young woman said something very powerful and something that I think would do us well to think about this week. She talked about passing things on and the power that comes from that.

You see, we do not live our lives in a vacuum. We are the extension of lives that came before us, and we extend our lives into those who come after us. We receive - both good and bad - from those who come before us. And we give - both for good and for ill - to those who come after us.

Have you thought lately about what you have received from those who passed their lives on to you? Maybe now would be a good time to thank those who have helped you to become who you are.

Have you thought lately about what kind of life you are passing on to those who come after you? Now may be a good time to start thinking seriously about the life you are living and what exactly you are passing on. Now may be the perfect time to become very purposeful about what you are passing on and the legacy you are leaving.

The beauty of the power of "passing it on" is that we can choose to give to others something even more powerful and beneficial than what we ourselves received. As I write this, I am twenty-nine years old, and the home my family just moved into three years ago is the 6th home I have lived in during my life. The greatest thing about our new home is watching my nephews enjoy a home that they can live in and feel safe, secure and peaceful in.

I am teaching them how to be successful in life and in a more secure environment than I ever had for myself growing up. That is something I am passing on to my family. And hopefully, they will go much further than I could ever dream of.

No comments:

Collections of Random Articles and Possibly Interesting Topics